RJ Cole Winery

Insights into the world of an amateur home winemaker.

Location: Charlotte, North Carolina, United States

Cole Wines anagrams to Senile Cow.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Working with the Longest Named Wine in the World

That is to say, the Winexpert Selection Limited Edition Chilean Maipo Valley Carmenere/Cabernet Sauvignon. Phew! I'm outta breath! And tired from working on it tonight!

SG had dropped down to 0.994 and was staying stable there. This is within the range suggested by the kit instructions, so I was ready to stabilize and fine the wine. First, though, I attached my Mity-Vac Vacuum Pump to start vacuum degassing of the wine. I pumped like crazy last night, walked away and did some other stuff, came back and pumped like crazy, and on and on throughout the night. When I woke up this morning, I had the worst pain in my left forearm from squeezing that pump so much.

But after some biofreeze, I was back at it after work today. Pump, watch TV, pump, play playstation, pump, fix dinner, pump...

Finally, I felt it was pretty well degassed for what I needed at the moment. I went ahead and added in a half cup metabisulfite/sorbate solution, and used my Mix-Stir to mix that in well (and hopefully, knock some CO2 loose while stirring!) Then I added the Chitosan, and hit the wine again for a few minutes with the Mix-Stir. I believe that it did get rid of some more of the CO2. Next I topped up with some red wine I had around the apartment, and a little bit of water. Finally, I popped back in the bung, and attached the Mity-Vac once more. I've been pumping off and on for a little over an hour, and I believe I have gotten it just about as good as it's going to be. Some bubbles were still rising to the top, so I left the Mity-Vac in vacuum and attached to the carboy. I'll leave it that way over night, and tomorrow remove the Mity-Vac and pop on an airlock. It should clear in about 8 days, at which time, I'll rack to another carboy.

At quarter after nine tonight, that's where I'm at so far. I need to go check on some bottle for my Pumpkin Wine, and if they're ready, I'll try to bottle them tonight. If not, then I'll have to wait a bit longer.

I'll post a follow up tonight or tomorrow depending on what happens with the pumpkin wine tonight.


Post a Comment

<< Home