RJ Cole Winery

Insights into the world of an amateur home winemaker.

Name:
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina, United States

Cole Wines anagrams to Senile Cow.

Monday, January 09, 2006

I'm back!

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. I've been busy with a lot of things, and lazy when not busy!

The holidays were great! I got to spend time with mom and dad, and Andy, Jen and Emery over Christmas. I think I might get to be the "cool uncle" after all!

Well, since this is a wine blog, I'll tell what happened to me wine-related over the past month or so. For my birthday on Dec. 19th, Kat got me a Merlot Kit. This has everything you need to make a batch of Merlot except the fermenters, carboys, bottles, etc. I can't wait to get started on it. I may go ahead and do that while my pumpkin wine is aging.

For Christmas, Andy got me some wooden "medallions" with "RJ Cole Winery" burned into them (he got to use his new work toy, a laser! The future is today!) these were awesome and look great. He put a burgundy ribbon through a small hole on many of them so I can put them around thenecks of my wines. I've tried it on a few already, and it looks great!

Kat got me a Portugese Floor Corker for Christmas. This will make it very easy to bottle the wine - you can do it with one hand! The other corker I had was very tough to operate, and there was always the chance of knocking the bottle over. This new corker will be great!

We opened a couple of bottles of my blackberry while I was home. I think everyone enjoyed it (although I think it might have been a little strong for Jen.) No worries though, that was my first batch ever, and I still have a lot of learning todo even now. I also left of couple of bottle at home for mom and dad to give out.

And that was the holidays for me!

Now for an update on the pumpkin wine: I haven't been doing anything with it at all. I've checked on it a few times, and it looks like it's starting to clear at the top. It's going to have a really nice color when it's cleared all the way - very amber looking.

I'm thinking about racking it again sometime soon to try to get out some more of the sediment in it. That should help it clear more quickly.

Well, that's it for now! I promise those photos are coming soon.

Cheers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home