RJ Cole Winery

Insights into the world of an amateur home winemaker.

Name:
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina, United States

Cole Wines anagrams to Senile Cow.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

A Big Hit!

I hope everyone had a good long weekend! I had a good one, but just about ran myself ragged! On Saturday, Kat was having some people over in the evening for a little party, so we worked our tails off all day getting everything ready for everyone. We had a lot of great food, and evrybody brought sides of hors d'ouevres to munch on in addition to all the food Kat prepared.

We tried to make a pretty ice block for serving shrimp on. We had gotten the idea from Southern Living magazine. What you're supposed to do is fill a cake pan with water and cover it with Saran Wrap. Then you put a few baby carrots in through the Saran Wrap all the way to the bottom so that they stand up. After this freezes, you can remove the carrots, turn the pan upside down to remove the ice block, and you'll have a few holes where you can put small flowers in. It sounds really cool, huh? Well, the theory is great, but we couldn't get the carrots out, and the ice block was too big for anything except a cutting board, and, it being ice, slid all over the place and the shrimp tried to slide off too! What a mess.

I decided that I would also pop open a bottle of my Blackberry wine and let everyone have a taste. Most people were a little nervous about trying their first sip of homemade wine. But after the taste, everybody said they loved it! They all thought it was delicious and gave me huge compliments.

So my wine was a big hit at the party! I was very happy and I'm still so proud of myself I could pop.

The Blackberry Wine is now almost 2 years old, and you can still tell it's improving. I wish I had made more of it, or at least I wish I had taken notes on the production process so I could replicate this one. Blackberry Wine is definitely on my list again this summer.

Now all I need is about 10 to 20 thousand dollars to become a legal commercial winery so I can start selling my wines!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home