RJ Cole Winery

Insights into the world of an amateur home winemaker.

Name:
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina, United States

Cole Wines anagrams to Senile Cow.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Bringing the Wine Home, or Out Out Damn Spot!

Over at Andy's Goode Life Blog, Andy has challenged Murphy-Goode Campaigners and other assorted wine enthusiasts to talk more about wine by answering one of three questions.

1. When I drink red wine, I often get the dreaded “red wine teeth,” which is an embarrassing condition to have at a party when I intend on talking, smiling, or otherwise showing my newly wine-stained chompers. And is there any way to reduce this affliction without hampering my enjoyment of reds?

2. What are your tips to avoid “palate fatigue” when tasting so many wines in a session?

3. Why smell the cork?

Being the overachiever I am, I will now answer all 3 questions (pretty easy answers for all of them to tell you the truth.)

1. First of all, it's not an affliction, it's a badge of honor, as if to say, "I have wine and you don't!" However, I do empathize with your predicament. There are multiple solutions, most of which are simple:
A) Chew a Campden Tablet. A little known fact is that red wine stains are simple to remove if you have enough sulfite. Chewing a sulfite tablet which is strong enough to sterilize 5 gallons of homemade wine is sure to keep those pearlies even pearlier. One drawback is that this is probably hazardous to your health.
B) Make sure everyone around has had more to drink than you. Unfortunately for this one, it relies on what other people do.
C)Dim the lights. This way, no one can see your teeth well anyway. This is the recommended method.

2. Vodka

3. Because you're interested in what the bark of a cork tree smells like. There's no wine-related reason though.

I hope my answers have helped everyone learn something about how to enjoy wine today!

Salud!

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Andys GoodeLife said...

Vodka!

I NEVER would have come up with this one! NEVER!

Thanks, Rob... you have educated me!

One question, though, is the purpose of making sure everyone around you drinks more to get them tipsy so they don't see your purple teeth?

12:45 AM  
Blogger Rob said...

The trick with the vodka is not to swallow.

And not only are the others more tipsy, but their teeth are more stained!

1:16 AM  
Anonymous Kris said...

Dimming the lights is a good idea. But what if you're at an outdoor wine festival?

9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home